1946 Ford Tudor
by Larry D'Argis
Club member Gord Atamanchuk bought his '46 Ford near Dauphin,
Manitoba. It had been used mostly as a parade car since the '60s
and had a perfectly straight, rust-free body and just over
50,000 original miles on the odometer. The paint was faded and
the interior was literally coming apart from damage by the sun
and moisture. While it was clearly in need of help it still ran
and drove fairly well. About ten years ago Gord thought it was
time and treated the old coach to a full frame-off restoration.
The frame was stripped, cleaned and painted before new brakes,
steering and suspension components were installed. The original
239 cu. in. Flathead V8 was fully rebuilt and bored 0.020".
Fitted with a Holley 94 two-barrel carburetor, Fenton headers
and a custom dual exhaust system; it easily out-produces its
original 100 horsepower rating, and has that exhaust note that
only a Flathead can make. He didn't stop there as the
three-speed manual transmission and rear axle also received a
full overhaul to bring it back to as new condition.
The body was bathed in a fresh coat of Black Cherry Metallic
paint, the bumpers rechromed and the stainless trim polished.
There were new door, window and trunk rubbers installed as well
as new glass. Inside is a full new beige cloth interior done in
the original pattern and a new carpet. The dash was restored, as
were the full gauge cluster, clock and Magic Air heater.
She rolls on 6.50 X 16 inch Firestone wide-whitewall tires that
ride on factory steel wheels with chrome beauty rings and
hubcaps. With less than 150 miles on it since the restoration
was completed remains in pristine condition.